Let's forget about Australia's dangers for a moment and re-visit Thailand's dangers. It seems that I got out just in time. Two devoted readers have alerted me to the this article about the mysterious death of a 27-year-old American blogger (not me!). Her fiance put her in a luggage cart and tried to wheel her to the Phi Phi hospital, but it was too late. (Any of this sounding familiar, Kelly??)
More bad news -- you'll remember that I told you my friend Caroline fell ill while we were together in Phuket. She was not pregnant. She did not have swine flu. She had DENGUE FEVER. I just found out she was in a Thai hospital for a week after I left her. She is doing better, but has been advised to consider returning to Ireland for a full recovery. I fired up Google just as soon as I heard this news. I wanted to make sure the disease was not contagious considering that I shared a bed and water bottle (you can't even use tap water to brush your teeth) with her for 3 days. It appears that I'm safe.
Thailand... the gift that keeps on giving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
i seriously just studied dengue fever about five minutes ago! all i know is that it's a flavivirus transmitted by arthropods (mosquitos and ticks). it is also known as break-bone fever and there is a variant in southeast asia that is called hemorrhagic shock syndrome. speedy recovery to your friend!
Post a Comment