Thursday, March 19, 2009

RotoVegas RotoVirus

Rotorua, touted for the healing properties of its hot springs and mud baths, caused me to break out in hives. Who could have predicted that it would be harmful to spend a few hours at a neon green lake? Where are my Mr. Yuk stickers when I need them?

The outbreak occurred after spending the day wandering through the toxic steam of Rotorua's geothermal parks. Thankfully, my airway remained open and the hives were limited to my arms and the soles of my feet. Strange, huh? Lest you start treating me as a leper, please know that the problem seems to have been solved with a pricey Kiwi antihistamine.
This has happened to me only 2 times previously:

1) In college, I broke out in hives after my inaugural taste of hummus. Yes, it is true that I didn't try hummus until my early 20s. I grew up in Ashland, remember? Against my better judgment, I tried to buy hummus in the Ashland supermarket last summer. The cashier looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked for help locating this product. This escalated into a debacle involving 3 store employees, none of whom had the foggiest idea what I was talking about. "Spell it," they demanded of me. When I opened my wallet to pay for the other groceries, I strategically placed my hand to cover my license. I was already seen as a fancy foodie; I didn't want to be seen as a New York fancy foodie.

2) I broke out in hives when my baby brother was first brought home from the hospital. After driving him home from the hospital in Pottsville, my dad had to turn right around and drive me to the pediatrician in Pottsville. My condition was expertly diagnoses as a case of "over-excitement." I had myself so worked up over the idea of having a new sibling to boss around that I literally blew a gasket. Hives were popping out everywhere. As a precautionary measure, I was prohibited from having contact with the baby for 24 hours. Torture!

Over time, I've become acclimatized to both these triggers. I regularly enjoy a snack of crackers and hummus without consequence. I've had routine contact with my brother for 19 years without any adverse health effects. Additionally, I've developed healthier coping mechanisms for dealing with extreme emotions (drinking).

I cannot afford any more NZ doctors' bills, so I didn't stick around Rotorua long enough to give it a second chance. I jumped on the Geothermal Explorer Highway (that's the road's real name!) and hightailed it out of town.

No comments: