When the Kiwis ask where you are from, they expect an answer more specific than "United States." This has been a process of trial and error. I began by saying "New York," but this caused confusion because people assumed Manhattan. "Upstate New York" brought up too much talk about Canada. Insulting! Also, that felt like a lie. Even after 3 years, I do not at all think of myself as being from New York. I still more closely identify with Boston, but I can't very well say I'm from there anymore.
I'm comfortable with my now standard answer of "Pennsylvania." Most people don't dig deeper, although someone asked if I was from coal country or steel country. He wanted to talk about the Amish and the movie October Sky. The "BoSox" guy from work asked me the name of Philadelphia's baseball team. (Are the fightin' Phils really 1 win away from the World Series?!) A cab driver informed me of - and sang! - a song called "Pennsylvania 5000" that his jazz band plays. I was ashamed that a Kiwi knew something about my home state that I didn't. My self-esteem rebounded when when further conversation revealed the cabbie thought Pennsylvania was a city in the Midwest. (Subsequent internet investigation leads me to believe the true name of this song is actually "Pennsylvania 6-5000.")
Reader Homework - I suggest you listen to Bruce, Billy, and Bon Jovi for inspiration while you contemplate the emotionally-charged question: Where are you from?

4 comments:
OK, so an accent can be a bit difficult to negotiate. He may have been talking about an 80's movie called Transylvania 6-5000.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090196/
I have a blog for you to check out. It's called "It's lovely I'll take it" and features poorly taken and poorly thought photos featured in real estate listings. The latest post it pretty funny (orange teddy bear leaning against a can of coke) and I saw this one (http://lovelylisting.blogspot.com/search/label/Auckland%20New%20Zealand)which freatures a home in Aukland, NZ and thought of you. Home is where the hot tub is...
BTW, I'm in no way suggesting that "lovely listing" is in any way as funny as your blog. It's only mildly entertaining compared to your poignant observations on Kiwi life. I love it!
A fellow blogger posted on just that topic:
Where I'm From:
I am from garden hoes, from Tastykakes and swim teams.
I am from the shallow backyard creek (muddy, rippling, it posed a threat of moisture, but not much of one).
I am from the blueberry bushes, the Dogwood tree.
I am from Christmas balls and Schaeffer butts, from PopPop and Papa and Teddy Baer.
I am from the worry-warts and connoisseurs.
From no means no and look after your siblings.
I am from the Stations of the Cross and genuflecting while blessing oneself.
I'm from Pennsylvania Dutch Country, chicken pot pie and potato filling.
From the cracked ceiling tile my uncle hit with his head as a kid, the salt and pepper shakers Mom threw as a child, and the nail that went through my brother’s toddler arm.
I am from the tiny, old, beaten chest my grandmother kept, which my ancestors brought from Germany, holding all their possessions.
Now you try:
The Where I'm From Template
I am from _______ (specific ordinary item), from _______ (product name) and _______.
I am from the _______ (home description... adjective, adjective, sensory detail).
I am from the _______ (plant, flower, natural item), the _______ (plant, flower, natural detail)
I am from _______ (family tradition) and _______ (family trait), from _______ (name of family member) and _______ (another family name) and _______ (family name).
I am from the _______ (description of family tendency) and _______ (another one).
From _______ (something you were told as a child) and _______ (another).
I am from (representation of religion, or lack of it). Further description.
I'm from _______ (place of birth and family ancestry), _______ (two food items representing your family).
From the _______ (specific family story about a specific person and detail), the _______ (another detail, and the _______ (another detail about another family member).
I am from _______ (location of family pictures, mementos, archives and several more lines indicating their worth).
wow, extra credit to nicki!
Post a Comment