Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Newsflash, Part IV

How low can it go? This news is cause for celebration! My dollar beats your dollar, Kiwis!

The cost of living is manageable so far. I still pause in stores to mentally calculate the "real" price in US dollars. Prices of restaurant meals, clothing, and rent are comparable to the US. Grocery shopping is an interesting experience. We're in the middle of nowhere so a lot is imported. Kilo for kilo, zucchini is more expensive than lamb. Avocados and kiwifruit are homegrown, cheap, and delicious. By the way, do not confuse the kiwifruit (one word) with the Kiwi (people of New Zealand). Avocado, my new favorite food, is used in everything. The BLT sandwhich becomes a BLAT, which tastes much better than it sounds.

This newsflash is accompanied by a photo of Freyberg Beach, taken today on my walk to the grocery store to stock up on avacados.

1 comment:

NICKI said...

Mmmm...I have developed a recent affection for avocados too, and because of it I ordered a "roast beef sandwich with chipolte mayo and avocado". Not that I am contemplating anything (other than the meal), but if I am on death row, I will have to consider this as a last meal option. The BLAT sounds wonderful too!