Tuesday, April 7, 2009

En Route to China

Here we go! On the afternoon of March 31, I settled in my middle seat on the plane for a cozy 12 hour flight from Auckland to Bangkok, where I had an overnight layover before continuing on to China the next day. I watched a movie and then realized we still hadn't reached Australia. I watched another movie, and we were still flying over Australia. It was going to be a looong trip, but I had plenty of books and in-flight entertainment options to keep me entertained. Guess which episode of 30 Rock was playing on the Thai Airways flight? That's right - Rural Juror! What a coinkydink since I recently blogged about that tongue twister.

(Random note about Thai Airways - they are very, very colorful. The flight attendants wear bright purple suits with magenta blouses. The plane seats are purple, magenta and gold. All travelers receive an orchid corsage before disembarking the plane.)

I expected my arrival in Bangkok to be a hassle, but I was wrong. Since my itinerary included an overnight layover, the airline put me up in a hotel. The hotel voucher was a photocopy of a photocopy, so I honestly expected that I would end up sleeping in the airport. O ye of little faith! To my great surprise, a shuttle van was waiting to take me to a very plush hotel next to the airport. It had one of those awesome swimming pools with fountains and a swim-up bar. Upon entering my room, I flipped the light switches, but nothing happened. I felt my way through the dark to the bed. The light switches there didn't work either. Hmm? I felt my way through the dark again to the front door and propped it open to use the light from the hallway. Then I saw that there is a slot in the wall by the doorway. Apparently, you have to insert your key-card in the slot to activate the electricity. You would think the front desk would have mentioned that...


I was back in the Bangkok airport by 9am the next morning for my flight to Shanghai. I was the first person at the gate, but I was soon surrounded by elderly Chinese people who seemed to be shouting over me. They were all drinking from reusable water bottles, and I wondered if they filled them up with dirty Bangkok tap water. I am extremely nervous about developing a GI issue from the food/drink in Asia. I have read about a phenomenon know as "Bangkok Belly" and I am trying to avoid it at all costs. Along with my passport and money, I never leave home without immodium.

1 comment:

Candice said...

ireland is the same way with the electricity in the hotel room!

i never knew that australia was that large.

and i hope along with your immodium you pack your senekot. i still have the pack from london circa 2003.