Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Pigs, Pegs, or Peegs?

Now faced with a shortage of gold coins and a $3 charge to use a dryer, I’m finally coming around to the Kiwi practice of hanging your laundry outside to dry. Many of the campsites have clotheslines, but no clothespins. I asked the teenage cashier at the supermarket, “Do you have any laundry pegs?” I already thought I was making a great concession to the Kiwis by using their term “pegs” instead of my term “clothespins.” The poor girl clearly had no idea what I was talking about. I repeated myself, but she was still confused. She left her station to walk with me to the laundry aisle and buy herself some time. She asked, “What is it you need again? Laundry pads?” I said, “No… pegs” and I made the international gesture for hanging clothes on the line, which turns out to be something like a downward facing lobster claw. Her face lit up. “Oh, peegs!” I was using the right word all along, but my funny accent got in the way again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Maureen, the farther you travel, the closer you are to home! Hanging clothes out to dry with whatever you call them. Now I don't think the coal holes are quite the same as your fiord caves though.
Quite breathtaking!

Anonymous said...

Two countries seperated by a common language.