Saturday, November 8, 2008

Boobs on Bikes

On Friday afternoon, I noticed the streets of Wellywood were busier than usual and people were standing around instead of walking. I thought to myself, “This is the biggest crowd of people I’ve seen in NZ. Something is up.” Then I heard the roar of motorcycle engines. It turns out that everyone was waiting for the Boobs on Bikes parade. Those promiscuous Kiwi women rode their way straight to Parliament! Dream big, little girls of New Zealand, dream big!

The parade is exactly what it sounds like - lots of boobs, lots of young Kiwi male spectators. A group of high school boys (easily identifiable in their school uniforms) sprinted down the street in a desperate attempt to keep up with the bikes. So young, so full of hope…

A guy next to me said, “You gotta have a lot of self-confidence to do that.” I think the exact opposite is true, but I can’t deny the mesmerizing appeal of Boobs on Bikes. My lunch hour was over before I knew it. I only had time to grab McDonald’s. And guess what… I’m not even embarrassed to admit to my fast food lunch. I proudly identify with all aspects of Americana this week, obesity included!

This is the reason I carry my camera with me at all times in NZ. You never know what you’re gonna see! Blogger may terminate my account if I publish objectionable content, so please email me if you’re feeling particularly lonely and need photographic evidence this event.